Formal Title will be "Assistant Director of External Affairs"
The Santa Barbara Museum of Art (SBMA) is one of the finest museums on the West coast and is celebrated for the superb quality of its permanent collection. Its mission is to integrate art into the lives of people through internationally recognized exhibitions and special programs, as well as the thoughtful presentation of its permanent collection. Be a part of a dynamic team of museum professionals who enrich and develop their love of the arts while contributing their specific skills and talents to the mission of the Museum!
The SBMA seeks a highly skilled, experienced, and results-oriented development professional as a Major Gifts Officer with the formal title of Assistant Director of External Affairs. Reporting to the Director of External Affairs, the Assistant Director of External Affairs is part of a team responsible for initiating, developing, and stewarding relationships with individual donors and prospects to grow unrestricted support as well as targeted funding of capital, exhibitions, programs, and other initiatives.
The Museum is in the late stage of an exciting $50 million capital campaign to make critical renovations to the facilities, to ensure its preservation, and to provide a better experience for our visitors and a better home for our expanding collection. The Assistant Director of External Affairs, with the Director of External Affairs, will have a lead staff role in managing the capital campaign plan strategies and ensuring that the campaign remains on schedule and achieves its financial goals. S/he will be responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual major donors and prospects.
- B.A. (advanced degree preferred)
- 5+ years of experience and proven success in major gifts fundraising
- Experience in an art museum or other cultural institutions desirable
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and successfully in identifying, cultivating and soliciting major individuals for support
- Team player who works collaboratively across the department and institution
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills and experience with Raiser’s Edge database or similar fundraising software important.