The Santa Barbara Museum of Art, one of California’s finest cultural facilities, has an immediate opening for a Senior Museum Technician to join our Collections Management Department. This position supports the Collections Management Department in handling, moving, installing, storing and managing permanent collection and loan artworks. As the principal staff art handler, works daily with Registrars and/or Installation Department crew on a variety of exhibition, loans and permanent collection projects to ensure the safe handling, movement, installation, packing and crating of artworks. Designs and constructs crates, travel frames, storage containers, exhibition casework and storage fixtures for safely protecting art during transportation, storage, or exhibition. Makes offsite pickups and deliveries, which may include de-installation/installation in residential settings. Supports department in monitoring and managing storage and exhibition galleries/sites for proper environmental and display conditions.
- Minimum 5-years previous experience as a museum technician, art handler, and/or crater/packer in a museum, gallery or other arts-related institutional or commercial setting.
- Must have a demonstrable high level of competency packing and handling of a variety of artwork materials, including framed and unframed artworks, sculptures – from antiquities to contemporary, textiles, and ethnographic artworks.
- Museum collection management knowledge and experience, and museum registration methods knowledge and experience are highly desirable.
Must be able to work independently. Must be able to conceptualize, design, and build mounts, storage containers, and other fabrications for displaying and storing artwork without direct supervision from the start of project to completion. Must be able to independently research and consult with registrars, conservators, curators, and outside resources (including other museum packers and art technicians) for the most up-to-date practices for packing/art handling and safe incorporation of emerging technologies and materials.
Must possess proficient carpentry and mechanical abilities with power and hand tools, including table/miter saws, joiner-planers, sanders, routers, drills, screw and glue guns, soldering irons, propane torches, and other tools or equipment necessary for design and fabrication of crates, mounts, and fixtures to accomplish the responsibilities and duties outlined above.
Bachelor's or Associate's degree in Art, Art History, Museum Studies or related study area preferred.
Position requires occasional driving of Museum van, an ability to lift up to 50 lbs. on an occasional basis and up to 25 lbs. frequently.
The position reports to the Director of Collections Management.
- Wage is commensurate with experience.
- Full-Time status provides competitive benefits including 3 weeks of vacation, 8 days of paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, medical/dental/vision/life ins/pretax savings options and 403b eligibility with 100% matching of up to 5% of your earnings after a year’s service; all while working in beautiful downtown Santa Barbara.
- Successful Background and DMV Check is required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.