The Santa Barbara Museum of Art is thrilled to announce the grand reopening of its renovated building, now set for August 15, 2021. After a six-year, $50 million project, the transformation is nothing short of breathtaking. The doors on State Street welcome you back into the 1912 structure, the heart of SBMA and in complete compliance with the most stringent seismic codes in the country. Be the first to see it!
- Advanced reservations are encouraged for admission to the newly renovated galleries.
- Booking for the August 15th opening day and beyond will be available on Thursday, July 15, 2021.
- August 15 will be a free public day.
- Member booking begins one week earlier on July 7, 2021. Please visit the ticketing page for more information.
- Members enjoy many benefits including free admission. Visit the Membership page for more information.
The original 1912 building has been redone from the inside out and is now equipped with every amenity, including state-of-the-art lighting, HVAC, and security systems. The refurbished galleries include elegant appointments, such as oak flooring, French limestone, and stunning skylights. The renovation was led by the Santa Barbara-based firm of Kupiec Architects PC and executed by Santa Maria-based Diani Corporation. More information can be found on our Imagine More campaign page.
Our heartfelt thanks to art handling specialists from Wolf Magritte, Getty conservator Erik Risser, and the SBMA facilities team for their masterful installation of the paintings and sculptures in Ludington Court.