Visitor Experience Manager – Full Time
The Santa Barbara Museum of Art presents internationally-recognized collections and exhibitions and a broad array of cultural and educational activities. The Department of Visitor Experience ensures that visitors enjoy exemplary customer service and that their SBMA experience is welcoming, educational and rewarding.
The Visitor Experience Manager leads the team and is responsible for developing, implementing and managing admissions and retail operations. Areas of responsibility include admissions and ticketing operation, Shop and e-Shop, as well as oversight of the Café Operations. The manager works closely with Security and other departments to unsure that the frontline staff is trained to provide exemplary customer service. The Manager coordinates with other departments including PR, IT, Education, Development and Curatorial to ensure that consideration of the visitor experience is at the forefront of all SBMA policies, programming, events and exhibitions
The Museum has an immediate opening for a resourceful and creative manager with excellent operational judgment, and effective business and communication skills to coordinate and direct the SBMA Visitor Experience team. The ideal candidate will have the ability to work collaboratively with multiple departments, excellent organizational, analytical, marketing and public relations talents, and the proven ability to analyze and solve problems, establish and meet goals, set priorities, handle diverse responsibilities and deadlines, creatively initiate and carry out product development and manage an eclectic, energetic staff.
- Carry out SBMA’s mission to integrate art into the lives of people by developing and implementing effective policies and procedures of the highest level of customer service and best visitor experience practices among all SBMA frontline staff.
- Hire, manage and support Visitor Experience staff to ensure excellence in the operation of the Museum’s retail and visitor operations and to promote and achieve a consistently high level of customer satisfaction. Develop and implement policies in coordination with Curatorial and Education to ensure an informed and knowledgeable frontline staff with regard to exhibitions, the permanent collection and all SBMA programming and events.
- Coordinate with Curatorial to ensure retail operations positively and accurately reflect and promote exhibitions and permanent collection.
- Develop and implement regular customer service training for all frontline staff, including Security.
- Oversee software and on-line ticketing to insure an efficient experience; work cooperatively with IT and PR to ensure that the SBMA website is welcoming, intuitive, and offers a seamless, straightforward path for visitors to obtain information.
- Oversee Museum Café lessee in all aspects of Café’s retail operation. Work in conjunction with PR to promotes Museum Café business and incorporate same in ongoing Museum events, programs and operations.
- Work with PR to develop and analyze visitor surveys, recommends policy and operational changes based on visitor feedback.
- Develop long and short term strategies for profit per square foot increases in all Museum retail space.
- Work cooperatively with departments to develop, design, and/or remodel plans for all SBMA public space.
- Prepare, managing and meeting departmental budget; setting sales goals and preparing sales reports.
- Oversee walk-in sales of memberships in conjunction with membership staff.
- Complete accounts payable and receivable tasks for shop and admissions accounts.
- Maintain adequate level of stock items and general inventory, establishing mark-ups and mark-downs, formulating pricing policies, coordinating regular physical inventory.
- Serve as primary specialist on POS and ticketing system for input, reporting and training.
Requires high school diploma or equivalent, 5 years professional retail management experience, including hiring, training, supervising and evaluating employees, knowledge of product development, experience in purchasing, merchandising and working with retail vendors, working knowledge of inventory and POS systems—RMS preferred. Museum, cultural institution or other public attraction experience preferred. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and a workplace that inspires.
- The position reports to the CFO
- Exempt Status.
- Salary is DOE and position is eligible for full benefits.
- Successful Background Check is required
- Deadline to apply: Applications (with salary requirements), Resumes and Cover Letters will be accepted through 12/22/14 or until the position is filled, either before or after noted date.
Send cover letter, resume, and application to:
Santa Barbara Museum of Art
1130 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93l0l
to download an application.