The Santa Barbara Museum of Art is one of the finest museums on the West Coast and is celebrated for the superb quality of its permanent collection and temporary exhibitions. Its mission is to integrate art into the lives of people through internationally recognized exhibitions special programs, as well as the thoughtful presentation of its permanent collection.
We are seeking assistance for our Collection Areas: 19th and Early 20th European Art, Asian Art, Contemporary Art, and Photography & New Media. The Associate Registrar is responsible for documenting and cataloguing permanent collection and loan artworks, including tracking and documenting locations, and updating Registration records. Works on the museum’s art collection database as a TMS expert to create and update artwork records. This position works on permanent collection exhibitions and gallery rotations as assigned and supports the department in managing exhibition loans, traveling exhibitions, long term loans, and the permanent collection. Works on projects designated by the Registrar which may include physical inventory and monitoring storage and environmental conditions of loans and permanent collection. Substantial art handling may be required for completion of some duties.
BA degree is required, preferably in Art History, Studio Art, or Museum Studies, and knowledge of art media and art handling/packing/shipping methods is preferred. Excellent record keeping, computer and clerical skills required. TMS database knowledge and experience is strongly preferred. For the Associate level, five years experience in Registration/ Collections Management in an art museum is expected. Must be able to occasionally lift art objects up to 50 pounds.
- The position reports to the Registrar.
- Schedule: 40 hours per week
- Salary DOE = $22.00 to $27.00/hour
- Full Time Status provides competitive benefits including up to 15 days of paid vacation, 13 paid holidays, 64 hours of paid sick leave and up to 80 hours of COVID sick leave as needed. This position is also eligible for our rich medical benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Pretax Savings plans for medical, dependent care parking and transportation costs, Life and Long-Term Disability, 403b retirement savings plan with a 100% employer match of up to 5% of earnings after a year's service, Downtown SB BikeStop private bicycle storage membership, and more, all while working in beautiful Downtown Santa Barbara in the heart of the Arts District.
- Successful Background Check is required and proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and booster.
- Applications can be located at: https://www.sbma.net/about/careers
Please submit via email your cover letter, résumé, and SBMA Application with contact information for 3 professional references to: